2.16.2010

An Interview with Handiedan


















One of my favorite artists, whose work I own none of ... yet.

Arrested Motion did a nice interview with the Dutch artist. They asked one of the questions I'd been wondering about since I was first turned onto her work:

AM: The name “Handiedan”, where does it come from? What does it mean?

Han = my name, the short version of my first name
die = that
dan = than

In English I know it’s a little confusing. People often think I am a guy, because they read ‘Handy Dan’ or something, but in Dutch it is actually a funny little rhyme.

A little history: When I write my email conversations or text messages I often end my messages with this kind of rhyme words and Dutch word combinations. ‘Cheers van han dan’, (Cheers from Han than), ‘xx van han die dan!’ and ‘Han says hi!’

Keep an eye out for future shows. Handiedan shows with Phone Booth Gallery. If you see a new release before I do, buy it for me.




No comments: